Saturday, April 08, 2006

Deep thoughts...

19Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
Revelation 3

I thought I'd expand a little bit on these verses... I've been thinking about them today. I don't know about you but sometimes I want to skip the first part of verse 18, do you? "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline" says the Lord. WOW! Or how about verses like these...
17 "Blessed is the man whom God corrects;
so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.

18 For he wounds, but he also binds up;
he injures, but his hands also heal.
(Proverbs 5)

11 You rebuke and discipline men for their sin;
you consume their wealth like a moth—
each man is but a breath.
(Psalm 39)

Don't we often just skim through them or even almost leave them out entirely when we read the Word of God? Saying to ourselves... No, God wouldn't do that! God is LOVE, He is ALWAYS good. Let me ask you a question then. What is a good parent? Someone who gives their child all he asks for? Someone who doesn't discipline? Someone who doesn't teach what is right and what is wrong? Someone who doesn't teach that there are consequenses to doing wrong? No, I think good parents would teach their children all those things and discipline them... BECAUSE THEY LOVE THEM! How much more will God discipline me BECAUSE HE LOVES ME. That's maybe the part I forget when I read these verses. He does it out of LOVE, not to hurt me but to teach me - maybe tough - but valuable lessons, to mold me and shape me into the person He wants me to be. THAT is something I need to keep in mind. So I can say that God is love AND He is good :)
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
(Proverbs 1)

11 My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline
and do not resent his rebuke,

12 because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in.
(Proverbs 3)

7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?...10Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
(Hebrews 12)

Back to the first verses I posted. Verse 19 says "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock..." I've never actually thought about this verse in the way that I did today. I thought: Is my life so messy that I'd rather have Him standing at the door knokcing than inviting Him in? Am I that ashamed of things in my life? There are definitely things in my life that I am ashamed of. The great thing is that He wants to help me tidy up in my life. He wants to come in and dine with me anyway! He wants a fellowship with ME. That is just breath taking! Oh, and ofcourse me leaving the door shut doesn't keep Him from seeing EVERYTHING, so why don't I just lay down my pride and open the door? I need to do that every single day!

I want all the junk, my mess, out of my heart so this is my prayer today:
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
(Psalm 139)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home