Saturday, May 14, 2005

A good laugh!

So, I guess I should tell you how it went yesterday! Tanks to all of you who encouraged me ;o)
At 1 pm my group of 11 people showed up at a health center to do this project. We were divided into groups of 2-3 people. Each group went into a doctor's office and there we did our little "dramas". I thought we were supposed to do the doctor-patient communication type thing, but that was just some misunderstanding. We don't know enough to do a proper conversation on that I guess. So I was glad. Instead we had to act out two different situations.
Situation 1: Two friends take a test to get into medical school. One of them makes it the other one doesn't. I was the one who got in and had to try to comfort my friend and show active listening.
Situation 2: Someone new has just started working at your work place. It turnes out this person was the one who bullied you at school when you were kids. In the cafeteria you overhear this person talking about you and everybody laughs. You get really angry and go into her office to make sure this doesn't happen again.

This time I had to do the angry part. That was kinda hard! I started out pretty well, slamming the door and shouting at the other girl, but I guess I'm not good at staying mad for a long time... hehe. It didn't take her long to sit me down and try to figure stuff out.

All in all, it was really fun to do this! Nervewracking but fun! Strange to watch myself on tape, but I learned a lot and we all had a good laugh! It's easier to see what I do wrong or badly and what I do well. So I guess I changed my mind about the whole thing. It is actually a great teaching method! Who would have tought I would come to this conclusion?!

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Great to read this!
I remember something else from the same VHS taped discussion (re: my comment yesterday): there was one nice guy in our group who never said much. During one of the hectic discussions he didn't raise his voice, but he started talking calmly and quietly. Everbody stopped shouting and yelling at each other and they all turned to him and paid attention to what he was saying. Later I have borrowed this technique in a class full of children and at business meetings. It really works - try it!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Katrín said...

Thanks for the tip! I most definitely will use it :)

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home