Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Gospel concert

Last night I went to a gospel concert where the Gospel Choior of Reykjavik sang. It was just great!! I guess you could say they had a theme for the concert - Kirk Franklin. His songs are amazing! Wow! So yea, I loved the concert and if anyone didn't go last night you should go tonight! There are still a few tickets left I think... at least that's what I was told. It's held in Filadelfia at 8 o'clock.

I really love one of the songs they sang. Just to give you the idea of how great Kirk Franklin is I'm gonna write the lyrics to that song here. It's from the CD "The Nu Nation Project":


Hold Me Now

The spring of April is gone
The leaves have all turned brown
The children have all grown up
And there's no one around
I'm looking over my life and all the mistakes I made
And I'm afraid
Afraid

Somebody told me that You would wash all my sins
And cleanse me from the scars that are so deep within
So I'm calling to You
If you can hear me
I don't know how
I was wondering can you hold me now

You are the only one that's patient when I fall
Your angels come to save me every time I call
You don't laugh at me when I make mistakes and cry
You're not like man
You understand me
See people change one day
They don't like you the next they do
I wish that everyone could love me just like You

So here I am this sinful man peace won't allow
I was wondering can you hold me now
I was wondering can you hold me now
To every broken person that may hear this song
To every boy or girl that feels their smile is gone
I know exactly how it feels to lay in the bed at night
And cry
And cry

Don't you worry God is patient and He cares
About the tears you drop and the pain you feel
He's there When you are weak that's when he's strong
Even though you don't know how
God can and he will hold you now
God can and he will hold you now
God can and he will hold you now
Don't you worry he can hold you now


Kirk Franklin has a very interesting background. If you want to know a little bit about Kirk you can read what's below or you can click here (that's where I got what's below):

Born and raised in Fort Worth, Texas, Kirk, as a child and adolescent, was no stranger to both pain and the comfort of the Lord. Never knowing his father, and abandoned in infancy by his mother, he was raised by a devoted aunt. A strict, church-going Baptist, she saw to it that her charge was well-versed in the Christian faith from his earliest years. The youngster not only thrived spiritually in the church environment, he displayed early on prodigious musical gifts. Recognizing Kirk's artistic anointing, his aunt collected and resold aluminum cans to raise money for her nephew to take piano lessons when he was only four.

The funding for that instruction was money well-spent, for Franklin was a natural musician who could sight read and play by ear with equal facility, and at the tender age of 11, was leading the Mt. Rose Baptist Church adult choir in Fort Worth. Despite his strong background in the church, Franklin turned rebellious in his teens, trading in the values and morals on which he'd been weaned for a life of violence, intimidation and larceny. It took the shooting death of a close friend to jolt Kirk, then 15, into a realization of the error of his ways, and back into the safe fold of the church where he began composing songs and recording demo tapes with a passion.

Nurtured on a steady diet of traditional gospel music, Kirk had also kept an ear open to the secular R&B, rock and pop music of the early and mid-'80s, and he absorbed the best of both musical worlds. Along with the power and passion of innumerable classic gospel artists, he was impacted by the sounds of an eclectic, far-reaching mix of R&B/funk and rock icons, from Cameo, George Clinton and Rick James to rockers U2, INXS and Depeche Mode, among others. Little did he know at the time how mightily the Lord was preparing to use him, and all his talents and influences, to accomplish great things in His service.

In the early '90s he formed a 17-member vocal ensemble of neighborhood friends and associates, dubbed "The Family". His life took a dramatic turn in 1992 when Vicki Mack-Lataillade, President and CEO of the then-fledgling Gospo Centric Records, listened to one of his tapes and, amazed by what she heard, quickly signed him to a recording contract. Since then, a decade of the greatest commercial successes and brilliant, groundbreaking artistry and inventiveness ever seen and heard in gospel music has followed.

"It's taken me these 10 years, and longer to fully realize that keeping everything we do focused on the love of God is what music, and life, is all about," Kirk concludes. "And it's kind of ironic to be this many years into the pilgrimage only to realize that's the way it was at the start, still is, and always will be."

http://www.nunation.com/bio.html

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hæ sæta
Vá hvað þessi texti er fallegur...ég fæ bara tár, enda er ég nú bara aum móðir...hehehe :)
Litli kallinn er allur að koma til þannig að við getum farið að plana hitting þegar þú ert búin í prófunum og svona ;) Getum gert eitthvað gaman!
Knús og gangi þér vel,
Eva

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home