Thursday, January 25, 2007

Learning a new language

Studying medicine is like learning a whole new language. I thought that I had learned most of the "medical language" already. Boy was I wrong. Once we started studying the subject of Pathology I realised that that in itself is a whole new language... lots of new terms and words to learn like...

coitus
dysuria
dyspareunia
dysmenorrhea

All those words were in ONE paragraph in my textbook. Luckily I payed attention in class so I know what they mean ;oP

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Try to use these words routinely in a conversation over coffee and cake with friends - just to see how they will react. If they don't get it, just say that it's hard for you to explain it to them in a decontextualized setting. :-)
BTW, I'm not so sure about the first word. Maybe it's better to avoid that one cause some people may have picked that word up somewhere.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home