Sunday, February 04, 2007

The end, Amen

When you say "in Jesus' name, Amen" what does that mean to you? Is it just a way to END your prayer, like saying "the end, Amen"?
I've been thinking about that lately and we also studied that a little bit on Friday night in the Bible Study group or Homegroup that I'm a part of. The significance of those words at the end of our prayers is really awesome when you think about it! It's definitely worth studying ;)

What's the significance of a Name in the Bible?
In the Bible a name involves much more than a tag to identify a person. It represents the very essence of the person! A person's personality, character, reputation and authority are all wrapped up in his name.
God's name is a declaration of the greatness of His person and we are to exalt His name. "Let them praise the name of the LORD: For his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven" (Psalm 148:13)
What about the name of Jesus? "God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name." (Philippians 2:9)
God's name alone is excellent and Jesus' name is above every name!

What does it mean to do something in someone's name?
You come by the authority of the other person, not in your own. You do something because that someone authorized you to. And that's not all! You come IN HIS STEAD. That means that the person to whom you come is expected to react to you, not on the basis of who you are, but as if the person who sent you was there himself.

What does it mean when I pray in Jesus' name?
When I come to the Father in Jesus' name I come because Jesus sent me. And what amazes me the most is that when God looks at me He sees His Son, the one in who's name I pray. Wow! So, it's not just a phrase that I add to the end of my prayers to finish them off. It is so much more than that! I come to the Father knowing that my only right in approaching Him is that Jesus died on the cross for my sins. He made it possible for me to approach God and I can go to Him in Jesus' name. It's not a magic formula, it's a heart attitude! It is a reminder that we can approach God only through the shed blood of Jesus.
Coming to God in the name of Jesus - that is authority and that is power! What a privilege it is to be able to do that! But remember, the phrase means nothing without the heart attitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home