Sunday, March 27, 2005

Easter camp with KSS!

As I told you know I went to Easter camp with a bunch of kids from KSS. There were about 60 people there counting the citchen staff and us group leaders. The program was packed with stuff to do. We had Biblestudies in the morning, group discussions after that, free time in the afternoon as well as some planned activities and meetings at night. I think everyone enjoyed being there. Just to give you a little taste of what went on I'm goin to tell you a little bit about each day... kinda like a diary I guess, since I couldn't blog while I was there ;) Let's start with the theme of the camp:

Adam Eve

Wednesday, March 23

So, yes the theme was Adam (heart) Eve. The first night the speaker (Halldór) talked about Adam and Eve and what the Bible says about "boy-girl communication". I thought it was great to listen to him and he had a lot of good things to say. I wrote a lot of it down... Maybe I'll add some of it here when I have time.

Thursday, March 24

The Bible study in the morning was on the topic "Sex before marriage". Interesting topic don't you think? I think it is important to talk to young Christians about this and what the Bible says about it. We had lively discussions in my group. It is a hard topic to talk about and people have lot's of questions. We shared thoughts and opinions, and I told them what I think and believe... I think the Bilbe is pretty clear on this subject. Sex belonges to married life, not before. There is no ding-ding without the wedding ring! Hehe!

In the afternoon we watched the movie "Saved". I thought it was a great movie. It doesn't paint a pretty picture of Christians, but I think it is a great movie to use as a mirror fore oneself. If you haven't seen it you should. I don't know if this is the picture people have of Christians, but if they do... I guess we need to get out there and show them what Christ is all about: LOVE

“ Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. ”
(Colossians 3:12)

In the evening meeting Jón Ómar, the speaker, talked about the movie and its relevance for us as Christians.

Friday, March 25 - Good Friday

On Good Friday those who wanted to had the opportunity to fast. I've done that every time I've been to this camp. It just makes this day more special and helps me to reflect on what happened on this day. I spent a lot of time in the little chapel they have in Vatnaskógur, reading God's word, praying to Him and dwelling in His presence. It was incredible!


This is the chapel. Really cozy and nice!

The Bible study this day was on women in the Bible, how God used women and how Jesus treated them. In the discussion groups we talked about women's rights in the church and equal rights of men and women. It was not as lively as when we were talking about sex before marriage ;)

In the afternoon those who wanted to watched The Passion of the Christ, and I was one of them. I saw it at the movies last year, but somehow this time it was even more powerful... I guess because I had been reflecting more on the events of Good Friday. Shortly after the movie everyone went to the chapel and we read the passage about these events. One of the guys in the group then carried a cross to the "main house". We ended with a short time of reflection and singing in the little hall there. The cross lay in the middle of the room and everyone got a candle to put on the cross. Very powerful.

In the evening we had a time of worship and testimonies. Lots of kids got up and shared about what God has done and is doing in their lives. Some of us older people also stood up. It was really encouraging.

Saturday, March 26

The last morning we had a Bible study on "Solitary life" (choosing life without a spouce). It was very interesting. Ragnar talked about how when we don't have a partner we can devote all our time to the Lord, and that it is harder to do so when we have a family. Not saying that it is better to live alone or more right... where would we be if everyone decided to do that? No, he was just telling us to really live for God. Dedicate your life to God and spend it living for Him both before you meet that special someone and after. Don't just sit around and wait for that someone to pop into your life, serve God while you are waiting ;) That goes for me too!!

Saturday evening we were back in town and rounded up the camp with a youth group meeting and a party afterwards. A great end to a great camp!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dagný said...

Don't just sit around and wait for that someone to pop into your life, serve God while you are waiting ;)

Oh þetta er magnað! Ég vildi óska þess að ég hefði fengið að hlusta á þetta! En þetta er svo ótrúlega rétt! :)

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really great camp! I'm glad that you had that experience! love ya, amy

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home